Thursday 27 February 2014

RHUBARB…..RHUBARB

PICTURE VIA PINTEREST


I love it when a seasonal fruit or vegetable suddenly appears…taking me by surprise, and inspiring me to cook with it.  One such new arrival is the early spring rhubarb which is now available. Our own rhubarb in the garden has started sprouting, but isn't quite there yet, so feeling impatient, I shall be buying some this weekend to make a family favourite recipe of
'Rhubarb and date chutney'…..so loved, that I wonder if it is really worth making any other kind  at all!  The perfect accompaniment to cheese….I shall be making a batch for my larder cupboard, plus a few extra jars for gifts, and I think perhaps I had better make a few to send up to London to the children who all love it too….

So if you like the sound of this highly recommended yummy chutney, then
here's the recipe!

Ingredients:
50g fresh root ginger, grated
300ml red wine vinegar
500g eating apples, peeled and finely chopped
200g pitted dates, chopped
200g dried cranberries or raisins
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp curry powder
400g light muscovado sugar
700g rhubarb, sliced into 2cm chunks
500g red onions


Put the onions in a large pan with the ginger and vinegar.  Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins.  Add the rest of the ingredients, except the rhubarb, plus 2 tsp. salt to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring.  Simmer uncovered, for about 10 minutes until the apples are tender.
Stir in the rhubarb and cook, uncovered, until the chutney is thick and jammy, about 15-20 mins.  Leave the chutney to sit for about 10-15 mins, then spoon into warm, clean jars and seal.  Label the jars when cool.  Keep for at least a month before eating.
*****

Wishing you a happy Thursday evening….

Sophia xx


1 comment:

  1. Hello Sophia
    I love dates but have never had them with rhubarb. Your larder must be full of wonderful preserves from your garden!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete