Friday 27 September 2013

GOURD HARVEST!
AND A KITCHEN GARDEN UPDATE....



Good morning, and happy Friday....
Instead of Friday flowers.....I bring you Gourds!


ALL PHOTOS: SOPHIA HOME




Decorative Gourds, are part of the 'Curcurbitaceae' family, along with Pumpkins, Squashes, Cucumbers and Melons.  Although inedible, I love to grow them for 'Autumn' decoration.....to bring baskets of them in to the house, or use to decorate an Autumn table setting.





Each so different....some smooth and pale, and others knobbled, bright and striped.  Growing and harvesting this characterful crop brings back childhood memories of my mother growing them at home when I was young....taking the time to varnish each one individually, to preserve them for decoration over the winter months. 






This year's wonderful warm summer, along with plenty of rich compost, has helped to create a bumper harvest in the kitchen garden....



DECORATE 'GOURDS'



The Japanese 'Uchiki Kuri' squashes, grown for the first time this year, have grown abundantly too....I can't wait to try these, having read so much about their superior taste and texture.....apparently 'Raymond Blanc's favourite squash, used in the kitchens at 'Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons'....so there's a top culinary tip!



SQUASH 'UCHIKI KURI'










 The surprise warm weather, accompanied by night time rain this week, has given the garden an added boost.....and just when I thought all the beans and courgettes were coming to an end, they have decided to romp ahead again....providing not just us, but friends and family with plenty....and our children have been sent back to their flats in London with regular vegetable parcels....I always have a tendency to grow too much!





Yellow courgettes....







Butternut squash....




Chillies and Aubergines in the greenhouse....




And an abundance of Heritage Tomatoes.....
all loving this Autumn sunshine.


ALL PHOTOS: SOPHIA HOME

*****

So from here in my kitchen garden, I wish you all a very happy and hopefully sunny weekend!

Sophia xx



12 comments:

  1. Sophia, wonderful to see all the vegetables of your garden! You are very lucky to have a vegetable garden corner!!
    I might guess you are going to prepare wonderfrul meals this weekend!
    Enjoy the weekend my friend!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Greet! Cooking at the weekend is always less rushed and more enjoyable. Wishing you a lovely weekend too!

      Sophia x

      Delete
    2. I love the your seasonal arrangement Sophia, your vegetable garden is beautiful and a veritable hive of activity. I am super impressed with the variety of gourds you grow. We used to grow at least one variety of gourds every year. Turks Turban was my favourite but this year I didn't get round to growing any. We must start growing some again next year. I might have a go with Monsieur Blanc's favourite. Happy Weekend!
      Paul:)

      Delete
    3. Do have a go next year Paul, I know how green fingered you are! Shall let you know in due course, what Monsieur Blanc's recommendation was like!
      Happy weekend to you too.....
      Sophia

      Delete
  2. What gorgeous photos! I miss having a garden- it has been a long time- yours is very inspiring!

    Best,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mimi! Perhaps you have space for a window box? It is amazing how much you can still grow and enjoy in a small space.
      Wishing you a lovely weekend,

      Sophia

      Delete
  3. Hi Sophia!!!

    You have a gorgeous garden and very productive!!! Here in Vancouver, BC, we had
    a great summer for the gardens. Everything just thrived, but, now it is raining with
    cooler temperatures.

    Oh well!! I look forward to the spring with all new idea for the garden!!

    Have a great weekend!!
    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment Pam about my garden! Vancouver is one of my absolute favourite parts of the world, and I can't wait to go back.....maybe next year, as my husband does business over there. I envy your wonderful ski areas that you have on your doorstep!
      Yes, always fun to plan for next spring in the garden!
      Have a lovely weekend too,
      Sophia x

      Delete
  4. Wow! You had quite a successful harvest! I love how nice and organized your garden is laid out. Love the lanterns on each side of the basket of gourds too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....my husband built the raised beds for me, which was a lovely present! Have a lovely week.

      Sophia x

      Delete
  5. Hi Sophia,

    Wish my garden looked as beautiful and healthy as yours! I am impressed by your harvest. The vegetables look really good and there is so much.....I wouldn't mind being a guest at your home. All those delicious meals with home grown ingredients.....

    Happy week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madelief......but you too have a lovely garden! Yes, there have been a lot of vegetables this year - I probably grow far too much, now that the children have left home, but I do love it, and it is lovely to give away!
      Have a happy week too!
      Sophia x

      Delete